Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What a night ...

So I want to first start by saying that I love my family and would never change who I married for the world. But I need to vent and express how very difficult it is to be a part of a blended family and step-mom. Ever since the day my step-son Brad moved in last year, we have clashed. Part of this issue for most of last year was pregnancy hormones (that's my excuse and sticking to it).

But since Brianna has been in our lives, I have made every attempt to make the situation livable. I think that I am very supportive and have allowed him to be a part of my whole family, including my parents and grandparents.

After a few good weeks and moving a few steps ahead, we took 10 steps back. This has been the cycle in our household for the whole year he has been living with us.

It started out as a discussion of taking things with out asking permission. By mid-conversation he felt the need to call me a racist. If anyone knows anything about me and my family, I am far from racists. I have dealt with this concept most of my childhood. I grew up with a grandfather that was not accepting (and I would call him a racist) of people with a different ethnicity or race. Through out my childhood, I felt that I was judged based on the beliefs of my grandfather. As I grew into adulthood, I knew what was right way to treat people. People of all colors should be treated as equals. I do not judge people by the color their skin but by whats inside them. I would hope that I am not judge by the way I look but how I treat others.

So going back to the argument tonight ... I don't know where this came from. Brad does not know anything about me besides the fact that I married his father. How can teenagers these days be so disrespectful. I think that all of the issues that we have had boil down to disrespecting your parents/step parents because of the sacrifice that they make to provide for them.

I just hope and pray that as he grows into adulthood, he will see the wrong he has done to me and regret the way he treated me.

Here is to a better tomorrow ....

2 comments:

  1. I am praying for you cause I know it can be a tough road...You do what the Lord expects of you and try to Love him where he is at. Sounds like he has some anger issues and they get directed at you. Just remember it is not really about you, it is really about him. I will keep all of you in my prayers. Here's to a better today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, Holly! I'm sorry that you have to go thru this! I know what it's like growing up in a blended family, and I know that it's not easy for anyone involved. I can tell you that Matthew, Madison and Brianna are SO VERY lucky to have you as a mommy! It's very obvious that they love you to pieces and think you are the best! Someday, he will come around, and he WILL regret the way he treated you. You are a great person : )

    ReplyDelete

Followers